We all become anxious when anticipating a dental or medical procedure. However, knowing what to expect rids patients of a significant amount of stress. The same is true of your dental implants surgery. A dental implant procedure is a tooth replacement option that replaces your missing tooth root with an artificial root made of titanium. Your dentist inserts an implant root into the jawbone, and after the jawbone heals, he places an implant abutment and crown on top. Dr. S. Blair Jones and Dr. Seth Harris build personal relationships with their patients and believe in fully educating them about their treatment options. Their step by step guide to the dental implant procedure will squelch any remaining jitters.
Steps of the Dental Implant Procedure
- If the tooth has not yet been removed, Dr. Harris or Dr. Jones will extract it. They will then make a a small incision in the gums to expose the bone and create the implant site.
- They will insert a titanium dental implant into the implant site.
- As the jawbone heals, it bonds to the implant much like the jawbone adheres to natural teeth. In this process, known as osseointegration, the bone cells fuse directly to the titanium surface, growing around it and providing support.
- After osseointegration is completed, your dentist will place an abutment on the implant. The abutment protrudes slightly above the gum line because it holds the crown, bridge, or dentures in place.
- The dentist will then connect the crown to the abutment.
- Following the surgery, you may experience discomfort at the implant site, minor bleeding, or gum inflammation. You can take over the counter pain medications such as Tylenol or Motrin, but if symptoms persist, then visit us as soon as possible to ensure you are healing properly.
- The dentist will recommend that you eat soft foods for 10-14 days.
- Continue oral hygiene habits of brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups; it is especially vital to floss around the implant on a daily basis.
- As with any surgery, Dr. Harris and Dr. Jones will schedule a post-operative appointment to check on your healing.
- If you have any concerns or if your pain worsens, call our office at any time.
About the Dentists of Mansfield Dental Associates
Dr. S. Blair Jones has provided stellar general, restorative, and cosmetic services for over 28 years. Dr. Seth Harris joined Dr. Jones at Mansfield Dental Associates in 2011, and together they serve patients of all ages from Mansfield, South Arlington, Kennedale, Southeast Ft. Worth, Alvarado, and Midlothian areas. To schedule a consultation, please call (817) 473-6227 or (817) 259-1357.