For patients who seek the perfect, Hollywood-like smile, porcelain veneersmay fulfill that desire. In fact, many celebrities attribute their flawless smiles to veneers and other cosmetic dental procedures. However, regardless of the advantages that veneers provide, they pose some disadvantages, too. To learn more about the downsides to porcelain veneers, your Mansfield, TX dentist, Dr. S. Blair Jones shares this information with his patients.
Porcelain Veneers Do Pose Some Limitations
- High cost. While porcelain veneers can create a flawless smile, this dental enhancement doesn’t come cheap. The cost for one veneer can range from $900 to $2,500 and the high price mostly stems from the manufacturing process. In order to create a veneer, the dentist must send impressions of your teeth to a specialized ceramics lab. There, a certified technician creates the veneers, which is an expensive process.
Furthermore, veneers have been deemed as an elective, cosmetic procedure by many insurance companies. In other words, getting porcelain veneers is an out of pocket cost. Luckily, supplemental dental insurance and payment plans, makes the cost of veneers feasible to most patients.
- Fragility. Veneers do prove quite strong, yet, the porcelain material makes them very brittle. Placing pressure upon the veneers can cause chips and cracks. Patients who crunch on ice, bite their fingernails, or perpetually grind their teeth shouldn’t have porcelain veneers placed.
- Not repairable. Unfortunately, should one of your veneers break, crack or chip, a quick-fix repair isn’t an option. Instead, your Mansfield, TX dentist must replace the veneer altogether. While the replacement veneer is being made, the patient must wear a temporary veneer, which can limit their dietary choices.
- Irreversible. Before the dentist can bond your veneers, he must first prepare your teeth. To complete this step, Dr. Jones essentially removes a portion of your enamel. Once the veneer is in place, it serves as replacement enamel. Due to this, the teeth that have the veneers can longer go sans veneer.
- Increased sensitivity. As aforementioned, patients lose a portion of their enamel in order to have veneers placed. This reduction in the enamel can lead to an increased sensitivity to hot and cold beverages. Patients may find that consuming soft drinks, coffee, tea, or even ice cream is uncomfortable.
Learn More about Veneers from Your Mansfield Dental Associates
If you’re interested in porcelain veneer placement, consult with Dr. Jones. He can detail the advantages and disadvantages to this dental enhancement to ensure you’re making the right choice. To schedule an appointment with our Mansfield, TX dental practice at (817) 259-1357. Also, visit our website to view services and learn more about our team. We proudly treat patients from Mansfield, South Arlington, Kennedale, Southeast Ft. Worth, Alvarado, Midlothian and neighboring areas.