In today’s fast-paced, disaster-prone world, many of us experience anxiety from time to time. A very common fear that often develops is a fear of going to the doctor, and this sometimes extends to dental visits. In fact, some estimates state that 9 to 15 percent of Americans avoid the dentist because of dental anxiety. A recent article appearing in The Journal of the American Dental Association states that the amount of dental anxiety may be greater in patients with recurrent gagging problems. Dr. Blair Jones and Dr. Seth Harris make a point to meet every patient with utmost care and understanding. They work hard to calm the fears of anxious patients. They now outline what to expect during a visit to their Mansfield office.
The article in The Journal of the American Dental Association reports that people who experience gagging issues may fear the dentist because they worry that a dentist may trigger their gag reflex. Over time, they may develop irrational fears regarding dental visits. The authors urge dentists to recognize gagging’s effect on a patient’s anxiety, and they recommend that the dentist lead an open discussion with patients about their fears. Talking about their fears can soothe the patient, and working together with the dentist to come up with solutions for handling the stress makes the patient feel more in control.
What to Expect at Your Appointment At Mansfield Dental
Dr. Jones and Dr. Harris have become known for providing professional, gentle care. At each visit, they will provide the following:
- They will present a thorough explanation of any issues found in the mouth as well as the treatment options. They will ensure that you understand what to expect prior to any procedure so that there are no surprises.
- Dr. Jones and Dr. Harris take the time to discuss fears and listen to your individual concerns.
- Your dentists also strive to make the visit as comfortable as possible. They are always willing to quickly adjust their methods if the patient begins to feel any discomfort.
- The dentists work extremely hard to minimize wait time both in the waiting room and the exam room.
- The dentists have much experience working with patients with dental anxiety, and they have become adept at settling nerves.
About Our Doctors
Mansfield Dental Associates offers cosmetic, general, and restorative dentistry with a caring touch. If you would like to schedule a consultation at our Mansfield office, please call 817-473-6227. Dr. Blair Jones and Dr. Seth Harris proudly treat patients from Mansfield, South Arlington, Kennedale, Southeast Ft. Worth, Alvarado, Midlothian and neighboring areas.