Knowing the proper way to care for your teeth can help you to achieve a lifetime of oral health. Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions about homecare and other dental treatments. Here to clarify those misconceptions are your Mansfield dentists, Dr. Blair Jones and Dr. Seth Harris.
Five Common Misconceptions
- Brushing more than twice a day is good for your teeth. Brushing more than twice a day can actually damage teeth and gums. Teeth’s outer layer of enamel can wear away, and the gums can become irritated with overbrushing.
- Putting an aspirin on a sore tooth will cure a toothache. The aspirin will be much more effective if swallowed. Also, next time you have a toothache, try rinsing your mouth with warm water and flossing the affected area in case the toothache is causes by an irritant caught in your teeth.
- Baby teeth don’t require fillings. All teeth that experience enough tooth decay require fillings. Neglecting to fill a baby tooth can allow infection to spread throughout the mouth and body. The tooth may also fall out prematurely, allowing the surrounding teeth to grow into the vacated area before the adult tooth emerges.
- Gingivitis will cure itself. This idea seems to stem from the idea that gingivitis, the inflammation of the gums, is like a rash for your mouth. Unfortunately, the bacterium responsible for gingivitis inhibits the immune system from attacking it, meaning that untreated gingivitis can often progress into a more damaging form of gum disease.
- Flossing isn’t really necessary. Flossing is absolutely necessary and is a crucial part of caring for your teeth. Dental floss cleans surfaces of teeth that the toothbrush cannot reach. If you don’t floss, you may be allowing bacteria to remain on the hidden surfaces of your teeth.
Schedule a Visit with Your Mansfield Dentists
Regular dental visits contribute to your oral health. If it has been six months since your last dental visit, schedule an appointment with your Mansfield dentists, Dr. Jones and Dr. Harris, by calling 817-473-6227. We proudly serve Mansfield and the surrounding communities of South Arlington, Kennedale, Southeast Ft. Worth, Alvarado, and Midlothian.